Thursday, March 10, 2011

Too sad

In some ways, this year's trip to Cherokee has been a depressing event. The children at Dora Reed and Big Cove have been their usual adorable and heart-stealing selves. But this story has dominated the news and gossip here during our time on the boundary. It is such a horrible, horrible story that it almost can't be processed. Sadly, the students and I have heard many more recent stories about domestic violence and child neglect and abuse. This just isn't the kind of stuff you can learn about and then grab a burger and head out for bingo.

Without doubt the trip has been a worthwhile experience. I think we have all had our eyes opened and been painfully reminded how dark and frightening the world too often is for the most vulnerable among us. I suppose we could all be at the beach sunning ourselves. But I for one would rather risk my heart in the mountains than bury my head in the sand.

2 comments:

  1. Allen, I look forward to you sharing some of the stories, maybe over lunch or something.

    Jari

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry this sadness had to be a part of your experience. It is a harsh lesson to come to terms with. It will take a while to process it, as you said. Try to concentrate on the things you accomplished.

    ReplyDelete