Monday, March 8, 2010

AMAZING first day!

We arrived in Cherokee yesterday afternoon. We got into the schools bright & early this morning :] I absolutely love working with the younger children - I've had a lot of experience with younger ages, thanks to a large family & a Teacher Cadet program at my high school. Today I had to option of working at Dora Reed Children's Center or Big Cove Head Start. Because Big Cove is a little deeper into the reservation, I decided to go there. There are only two classes there: 3-year-olds & 4/5-year-olds. I worked with an amazing group of 10 students. For most of the day, we played and worked with students on basic interaction behavior [just talking to & interacting with them, plus supervising their interactions with others]. There was a teacher & teacher's assistant in the class, both of whom were very informative & friendly. While there wasn't much time for them to talk with me when the kids were awake & running around, they both spent the entire nap-time talking to me about things like: federal, state, & tribal standards; kids' histories; their lives; the curriculum; etc. My teacher has even offered to let me do some things in the classroom [like "circle-time"]. We did have one mishap with a student, but [hopefully] that is on its way to being resolved.

Dr. Bryant had talked about switching up our classrooms throughout the week, but I have asked to remain at Big Cove with my amazing 3-year-olds; they are so happy & carefree. I would love the opportunity to get to know them [and the teachers] better throughout the week. I'm excited to spend the rest of the week learning more about the Cherokee culture & about teaching/managing children in an actual classroom.

~Kristy

No comments:

Post a Comment