Saturday, March 6, 2010

Blast from the Past


I found this picture of downtown Cherokee circa 1950s and thought I'd pass it along. The town has changed a great deal, but the basic character is the same. The Sequoyah Restaurant (circled) was a great place that my Grandpa Norris and I used to go to. They had the best country-fried steak in the world! The building is still there, but it is now a leather shop. Recently I was there with my family and I met the owner. I told him about how my Grandpa and I used to eat there and pointed out where "our" table was. He told me to hang tight and he would be right back.

When he returned he had a glass Sequoyah Restaurant ash tray that he had found weeks earlier while cleaning out the attic! He gave it to me to keep--a perfect example of the thoughtful hospitality I always find there. I don't smoke any more, but the ash tray is on my desk at home, a great reminder of some wonderful times spent with my grandpa.

No comments:

Post a Comment