Sunday, March 14, 2010

Lisa's Final Blog


My last couple of days in Cherokee were amazing. I worked at Big Cove again on Thursday, and learned so much from the kids and teachers. They did a little assessment of counting and letters during circle time. The teacher would basically hold up a flash card with the number or letter and the kids would call out what it was. I noticed some interesting patterns with both. After a number would be held out, the kids would have to count the objects out-loud. The kids were all fine with 1-11, but after that it got tricky. I notice a pattern of the kids counting after 11 going something like this: 12, 13, 16, 18, 19, 20. They all seemed to skip the same numbers. Also, each number was spelled out on the cards and the teacher would ask what each letter was in the number's name. I noticed several of the kids called the letter "X" "x-ray". I questioned them about this, and they truly thought the letter was called "x-ray". I spoke to the other teacher about these observations and how some students were very well versed with their letters and numbers, while others really struggled. She said she notices that the ones who don't complete their homework are the ones who seem to struggle the most in class. Further, they are only allowed about 10-15 minutes of circle time per day, which isn't enough to completely reinforce those new concepts. They really do have to rely on the parents reviewing those things with their kids when they get home. It made me consider how I will need to focus on getting my students' parents involved when I teach. I will have to find a way to do this in order for my students to learn as much as possible.

Friday I got to say a brief goodbye to my students after a misunderstanding about the kids being at Dora Reed (in the library) instead of at Big Cove during the time we went to say goodbye to everyone. I actually got to spend a little time outside at Dora Reed, however, playing with other kids. It was fun to get to know other kids and find out they got attached to me after only 10 minutes or so and were following me around the playground and didn't want me to leave. That really gave me more confidence in my ability to work with children, something I didn't have experience with before this trip. I truly have learned a lot this week, from the students and teachers at Big Cove and Dora Reed, and from the other students on this trip and Dr. Bryant. The trip was well worth it and I would encourage people to sign up for the next trip if you get the opportunity.

♥Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment