Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Whitney's Story... Day 3

Today was a GREAT day! I did not wake up in the best mood this morning but as I was getting ready I was reminded of how truly blessed I am. I grew up having everything I could ever want or need and this trip has shown me that not all people have it that great. The children I have been working with seem to always wear a smile no matter what tough situation they are going through. It really puts my "troubles" into perspective... I have no reason to complain about my life. It has been amazing to see how much four-and-five year olds can teach a college student. I would say that it has been a pretty humbling experience!

We had fifteen children in the classroom, which made the day very interesting! A couple of the children decided that they wanted to build this huge tower of blocks with a road going around it. We spent a lot of time working on it and of course after twenty minutes of building all they wanted to do was knock it down, which they did... right before I was able to take a picture. Oh well, they laughed a lot! For nap time the teachers turn the lights off and turn on lullaby music. I was so tired that I actually kept falling asleep in the chair. All of the teachers gave me a really hard time about it saying that I was too young to be tired! I guess it is tough chasing children around all day. :)

After leaving Dora Reed we were able to visit the new school that just opened on the reservation. Twelve hundred children ranging from Pre-Kindergarten to 12th grade are able to attend this amazing school. One of the main focuses of the school is keeping the traditions of the Cherokee alive. Pottery, basket-weaving, wood carving, carpentry, and Cherokee language classes are available for students to explore and continue the traditions of their culture.

We ended our day with hiking back down to Soco Falls, spending some time exploring the area, and watching a beautiful sunset. Have a great night! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment